Teradata Annotations Redesign
In the summer of 2014, I interned at Teradata as a UX designer working under
the guidance of Christian Beck and Anna Eaglin. During the course of three months,
I redesigned their Annotations user interface, a subset of a marketing suite software
used by eCommerce professionals.
My final deliverables included a high fidelity prototype along with a detailed specification document.
If you would like to see either of these documents, please contact me directly.
Duration : 3 months
My roles :
- Synthesized research data
- Brain-stormed and sketched concepts
- Wireframed high fidelity prototype
- Wrote technical specifications for development team
- Aggregate and synthesize annotations viewer data to uncover design insights
- Create mockups of proposed redesign
- Test redesign
- Create high fidelity mockups, including a specifications document that details interactions.
- Present final design
Conduct a redesign of the current implementation of the Annotations Viewer in Marketing Studio.
- Cluttered markup that hides document content
- Inability to see full annotations
- Inconsistency in controls and tools
- Inability to format comments
Discovery and Requirements
I aggregated and synthesized qualitative data from interviews with our clients who are:
- Promotional review editors
- Associate buyers
- Compliance reviewers
- In sales and marketing
Using these interviews with clients who use the software,
I was able to abstract the pain points of our clients and construct use cases.
Following the analysis of the interviews I was able to identify 55 user stories
and use cases from the interviews.
Original User Flow
In addition to the use cases, I designed a flow document to help me understand how various
customers in different fields would use the software.
Using research gathered from clients, I was able to identify the main problem
areas of the current software and apply this information to create user specific
use cases and flow.
Additionally, I looked at competitors as well as analogous
competitors for inspiration. Although these products
are not our direct competitors they influence customers expectations
as to how they expect the product to work.
Conceptual Design & Wireframes
I started by sketching minor interactions that would occur within the software.
Here I was deciding between various ways of displaying a comment box.
Low Fidelity Prototype
I then created low-fidelity, preliminary prototype using Fireworks.
Following feedback and team review, I created a mid-fidelity prototype.
After sharing this version with internal users of the software,
I was able to create the final prototype.
High Fidelity Design & Tech Specification
High Fidelity Prototype
The final, high fidelity prototype provided the team with a vision for
future products. It was built in Fireworks and presented to product team members and
Lastly, I created a specification document for the design and development team outlining
the UX and UI details of the final wireframes.
The redesign provides:
- Simpler controls and actions
- Minimal markup on the document with more focus on the content of the comments
- More flexibility for the user to create annotations and comments that are relevant to them
To see either the final wireframes or technical specifications, please email me directly at email@example.com